Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Locks of Love

Time after time over the past year,  Audrey has asked her hairdresser to get out the ruler and measure before the first snip.


Not yet.

Not yet, Audrey.

Not this time.


But this time, the hair did  measure ten inches.  That's the minimum needed to donate hair to Locks of Love, an organization that provides wigs to children who've lost their hair to a medical condition.  For a full year, Audrey has been growing out her hair, waiting until it gets long enough to donate.


Today was the day.



Somewhere out there
 a little girl is fighting against a medical problem that has stolen her hair
and a self-consciousness problem stealing her joy.
Maybe, a few weeks or months from now,
she will walk out into the sunshine wearing Audrey's hair. 


Blessings upon your head, little girl.



Nice job, Audrey.

7 comments:

Mac said...

That's great! Way to go Audrey! I'm working on the same goal! I have no idea how close I am to reaching it... Sometimes it feels like FOREVER trying to grow your hair out

Rebecca said...

This is awesome! And, Audrey your new cut is so cute on you!

Anonymous said...

I had my hair donated before. I think it is such a great thing to do.
I lOvE the hair cut Audrey !!

Sue in Grapevine said...

Welcome to the club, Audrey. I gave 11" of my hair in 1999. Vickie has sent a total of 44" of hers & I'm not sure if she's considering it again.
Sometimes it's hard to have the patience to wait through the growing-out process. Good for you!
Love the new 'do.

Lil red said...

I love the haircut Audrey. Very flattering!

Kristi said...

That's great! I love these kind of stories, maybe because haircuts are right up my alley.
I agree with Rebecca: the new cut is very cute!

Melissa Trotter said...

It brought tears to my eyes to read about Audrey donating hair. I guess because kids with cancer (and no hair) are so close to my heart. What a great goal - to be able to donate your hair!