Thursday, September 13, 2007

Shopping, Draft Horse Style

I did a little shopping for John last weekend. He had a previous commitment, so he sent me to South Dakota with some draft horse people, to check out an auction sale.


Before my adrenaline had settled back to normal, I was dragging a plow, a chain for a horse-drawn manure spreader, and a new floor for the same spreader into Kevin's trailer. Not your usual Saturday-afternoon-at-the-mall shopping trip like I used to have growing up in Dallas, but probably more interesting.









Here's our friend Kevin, securing the "new" plow.



There was lots of harness for sale, hanging on long racks that had been cobbled together for the occasion.















The same racks held several sets of fly nets. You throw these over the backs of your horses. As the horses move, so do the strands of netting, scaring the flies.


If you know me, you know I'm not a real big shopper---more the sight-it-shoot-it-bag-it type. There's none of that at an auction sale; instead you sit around and stand around and wait around until the auctioneers get to the item you're interested in. This gives you plenty of time to argue with yourself about how high you're willing to bid, and how much the item is worth.







Sometimes it's a little hard to tell exactly what's being auctioned, especially if the crowd is thick. These ringmen, at a sale I attended a few weeks ago, carry a sign to make things perfectly clear.











Likely as not, when they finally do get to your item, the bidding shoots right past you before you ever get your hand in the air. That's what happened to me when these mowers were sold.

















If you get tired of second-guessing yourself about whether you bid too much or too little, you can shift into people watching mode.








And if you're not interested in buying harness or equipment, maybe you can talk your daddy into buying something else.




8 comments:

Katie said...

Love it!!!! The ones of the children are priceless.

I've only been to one auction, and it was very informal.

marmaladeinstead said...

I think the little girl in the bottom photo could be me. Something to eat, irrigator boots, and the completely lack of attention to the sale around her. After all, we all know that I didn't pay any attention at that infamous bull sale...

Shannon said...

Miss Alice... rumor had it that you were coming east sometime soon. Is it true? and how far east? and will anyone be joining you? Someone in my house was asking, so I am much obliged to find out! :)

I like the people watching pictures. I tend to miss other things because I'm watching the people - like the day 25 of us walked past Buckingham Palace and I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO DIDN'T SEE IT because I was watching the people feed the pigeons in the park right next to it....

Miss Alice said...

Shannon -
Erica, Merrill and I are driving to Mahomet tomorrow, to bring meat to Peter. Saturday we are going to a gathering of Christians in Indianapolis - an encouragement to young people, I hope. As of this moment, we plan to be at your meeting on Sunday, unless we get a crazy idea to try and meet Rachel somewhere.

About the people watching - you are too funny! The people were probably more interesting than the palace anyway.

marmaladeinstead said...

Trying to meet Rachel somewhere is a SPLENDID idea. ;)

Anonymous said...

I love the picture of the farm boys! It's so real and typical. they look great. And yes, I whole heartedly agree with Rachel. The girl with the fashionable shorts and irrigators could be her :D

DaveWick said...

Our old landlord used to have one of those mowers sitting out behind his barn. I wouldn't be surprised if it was still there...

Moriah A. said...

Love your blog Merrill! By the way...it was good to see you this past week (and to play soccer with you :)