Friday, March 13, 2009

Woot! Woot!

I am so full of joy I can hardly contain it.

I buzzed into town with Audrey this morning; she only had one class and I had to grocery shop, so I rode with her. She had coupons for two free drinks at the local coffee shop. We zipped around the drive through before her class. As I dropped her off at the college, I said, "Tú tomas café." It's a bit I picked up from my online Spanish class last night, and I thought it meant "You drink coffee." Not exactly world class conversation, but it's the best I can do in Spanish just now. In fact, I was pretty proud of myself, but Audrey challenged me with a different verb for "to drink" - "beber." We parted, pondering the meanings of Spanish verbs, and I drove off thinking about how great it is to keep learning throughout your whole life, how great it is to share small moments with your daughters. These little things, along with a dose of sunshine, would have been enough to keep me smiling all day.

On the way home, having just come from music class, Audrey spoke of Mozart, and of how utterly gifted he was, musically. A friend of his once wrote a long and complicated piece of music for him, and then played it for Mozart. Mozart thanked him and arose to leave. "Don't you want the music?" his friend asked. "Here. I've written it down for you." Mozart replied that, after hearing it only once, he didn't need the sheet music, as he had captured it all in his head. His friend challenged him to sit down and play it, which Mozart did, perfectly. And then began to play again, this time composing a number of beautiful variations as he played.

Audrey and I wondered out loud how anyone, upon hearing such a tale, can doubt the existence of God. Surely the ability to write music of Mozart's caliber, or to hear and remember it, has not evolved, accidentally, out of nothing. Audrey then told me a bit she's been learning about the transmission of information by nerves....synapses, ions, cell walls opening and closing at just the right moments.......again, all accidental? Since when did anything so delicate and so complicated come about without purposeful effort by its maker? We marvelled together about the beautiful, intricate, and intentional design we see in the world around us.

spring colors, visible via optic nerve

As if these matters couldn't produce enough joy to last me all day, I watered my garden! Yep, you read it right - my outdoor garden needed water. My spinach, planted last fall, has lived through a wild temperature roller coaster, only partially mitigated by my new hot frame. Even under the plastic, temps ranged from 99 degrees (yes! That's no typo!) to 9 degrees in one short week. A tough ride for anyone, but the little critters held on. I'm so thankful.

spring garden

Barely inside from loving on spinach and broccoli in the outdoors, I got a text message. A friend who has been battling cancer got her latest scan results....NO SPOTS ON THE LUNGS! Woot! Woot! She is soaring, carrying me with her.

spring to new life


And now, in the warmth and cool and sun of a beautiful spring afternoon, I get to go help my hubby hitch four horses to a wagon. We've not driven "four up" before. I've got to quit writing this and bolt for the fairgrounds.

Lest you think I live a charmed existence, the sour economy chawed our spring vacation to bits before we could pack the first suitcase, so we're staying home. Worse, I said goodbye last week to a friend who died of ALS. Perhaps today's little miracles seem all the richer because they didn't crop up on an unspotted canvas. No matter; my heart still sings thanksgiving.

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

What a great post. I had a sort of intense, high-strung, nerve-wracking day. This lifted my spirits so much!!!

Anonymous said...

I thought I might have seen you bouncing around about 10 feet high this afternoon.... :)

Abutton said...

I like your post, Mom. :)