Sunday, October 23, 2011

Reverse Shoplifting


At this point, is the best course of action to try and suspiciously tuck the banana deeper into my purse, as if I were stealing it?  Or should I slip the banana out of my bag and drop it into the bin with all of Kroger's other unsold bananas?

I can afford to donate a banana to Kroger's.  Reverse shoplifting might be the safest plan.  On the other hand, if I'm caught pulling the banana out of my bag, it may cast a time-consuming pall of distrust over me, leading to a line of questions and perhaps a search of pockets and purse.

But if I don't lose the banana, and it pops its yellow nose out while I fish for my credit card.......not good either.

What would you do?  The lady or the tiger?

If you don't know The Lady or the Tiger, a short story first published in 1882, you can read an updated version of it here or the longer original here.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Um, I'd probably put the banana in the bin. I don't know if that's the Lady or the Tiger. My sisters and I have had some LOONNNGG debates over the Lady or the Tiger. I personally think it's the Tiger. However, that should not be construed to mean that I would choose the Tiger in the same circumstance. I would not. :) So, what did you do? And do you think it's the Lady or the Tiger?

Anonymous said...

hahhahahaa.

you are my favorite! I am laughing over here.

this reminds me of a certain episode in the the dressing room one time. ;)

Miss Alice said...

Rebecca:

I didn't have the nerve to pull the banana out of my purse. The produce section had an employee working in it, and I was too afraid she'd see me. Not sure if that's the lady or the tiger, but it worked out....no one in the checkout line saw the banana and I did not go to jail for shoplifting.

And as for the short story, I think she was a woman of noble character, and therefore chose the lady. Like the mother in the biblical story where Solomon says to cut the baby in half -- true love would rather see the loved one live with someone else than to see him die.

Miss Alice said...

Merrill:

You are really making me laugh! I had forgotten the dressing room story. What is it with me and retail?

Anonymous said...

Very cute Alice, just remember one thing next time, every inch of that store is coved with a video camera, so your not going to get caught shop lifting.