Friday, July 13, 2012

The Day the Music Died, Part 2


The music really died a long time ago for this puppy.  She's an old girl from maybe the 60s, and she's had a hard life.  Long vacations between visits from the tuner, followed by lots of solitary confinement in our basement dungeon after we bought a nicer piano.  In between, she took her share of kid-pounding, including the day I vacuumed bits of ground piano out of the carpet.  A visiting toddler had thought the music would be louder if he used a tool instead of his fingers to bang on her ivories plastic keys. He was right of course, but the piano never got over it.

Last week we decided it was time for her to yield up her parking space in the basement.  Audrey, John and I grunted and strained our way up the stairs with her.  Then John and Merrill took over with the loader bucket, giving the piano a graceful,open-air ride across miles of gravel to her final resting place.  Not as much fun as the last time we parted company with a keyboard---read about it here----but maybe our taste for fun has changed.

1 comment:

marmaladeinstead said...

This brings back lots of memories and brought tears to my eyes. I sat at that piano and played it mindlessly on May 24, 1996 -- while Mama Ruth sat and rubbed my back -- and, finally, when I couldn't pretend that I was ok any more, let me turn into her and cry.