Monday, October 22, 2007

The Day the "Music" Died

Somebody gave us this old organ, amidst our protests that we really didn't want it. The girls had played on it at their great-grandma's house when we went to visit, a gaggle of toddlers entertaining themselves as best they could in an old woman's home. Adults visited around the kitchen table while three- and five-year-olds amused themselves with Grandma's treadmill and the electric rhythm---cha-cha-CHA, cha-cha-CHA---of this plastic organ.






When grandma moved on to assisted living, the organ came to live with us. Mostly it gathered dust---the girls had moved on as well---but occasionally, we'd hear a round of Happy Birthday or How Great is Our God, overlaid with a snappy electronic samba beat.

I've been trying to find a new home for the organ for years. No one seems to want it, and they charge you fifteen bucks to take it at the dump. Plus, to haul it to the dump, you actually have to GO to the dump, which I try to avoid.

They say that time changes things, but sometimes you have to change them yourself. That's what we did today.















See that dumpster in the background? If we can get this organ to fit in that dumpster, we won't have to pay the fifteen bucks........





















we won't have to go to the dump......











and we might have some jolly good fun in the meantime!

9 comments:

DaveWick said...

That's a hoot!!

Anonymous said...

Heavens! Don't let some "Save the Organs" rights group(I am SURE they are out there rubbing shoulders with all the other fanatical "save the whatever" group)get wind of your jolly good fun! LOL Diane

Lil red said...

Hi Mrs. Wood,
Those pictures are HILARIOUS! I sure wish I was there to help smash it up. That organ was fun for about 5 minutes and then it got super annoying. :) :)

Liz Brown said...

That looks like fun. :)

Rebecca said...

oh, that looks like WAY, WAY, too much fun!!!! Normally, I would not be in favor of smashing any instrument... but, that does look like fun

Lady Dvora said...

Very Fun!!! Great idea!

Kristi said...

"occasionally, we'd hear a round of Happy Birthday or How Great is Our God, overlaid with a snappy electronic samba beat."That reminds me of the little lap-top synthesizer that my grandma had when I was about 7. Samba was just one in the list of about 25, from cha-cha-CHA to do-de-DUM-DUM-do-de-do...
I can only imagine what that must have sounded like to any listening adults in the vicinity as we punched button after button... *shakes head and laughs*

Looks like a fun time there!

Anonymous said...

If it had been my violin, I would have been bawling...as it was, I really got a good kick out of it! (as you can see from the picture of me doubling up laughing....)
That was the most fun I'd had in months!!

marmaladeinstead said...

I wish I could have been there...!