Monday, August 13, 2007

Coming through the Rye


My title is borrowed from one of Frederic Remington's most ambitious sculptures. Here is my own man coming through the rye, and an image of Remington's original work.


Our day with horses in the rye field was quite a bit more serene than the one Remington depicted in 1902.



You may remember our friend Kevin. He wanted his rye stubble plowed, so he called every teamster he knows. Word of mouth spread the news of a plowing day, until twenty horses and mules, a half dozen plows, and fifty or sixty spectators were assembled Sunday afternoon.










One guy even brought his Shetland pony team. The weight of his plow was hardly enough to pierce the sod, so he mostly slid along the surface, gathering rye grass in the plow bottom. I don't think this would have worked for Laura Ingalls Wilder's pa.....he must have had bigger horses and a heavier plow.










Watching a day of plowing like this gives you a lot of respect for farmers who made their livings this way in yesteryears. The plow John was on cuts one sixteen-inch swath at a time.












This is a pretty big field to be plowing sixteen inches at a pop.

Fortunately, Kevin has lots of friends and Charlie has a bigger plow. This one is a two-bottom, so it cuts twice as fast as John's.
And it takes twice as many horses to pull it. Kevin and Charlie combined horse power to hook up their three-bottom, just before the rain struck. This big gun needs eight horses to lug it through the turf. They had time to do just a couple of rounds before a torrential thunderstorm arose and ended the party.
In frontier sodbusting days, if you farmed more ground, you needed more horsepower and bigger equipment. Some things never change.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Well.
I know I am not a farmer - I'm not even a very good gardener, if you look at my home gardens - but boy, I sure would have liked to be there when you were doing this! Looking at those pictures... I just get this feeling that I would like to drive one of those plows, and maybe even get rained on too. Maybe it's just because it's different from what I do all the time. It just looks really... nice. It's probably the horses. :) And my daughter is standing here with the peanut butter and jam jars in hand, asking for lunch, so I need to quit dreaming and sighing over these pictures and go feed my girls. :)

Shannon said...

And when I left this comment, it was really 11:53 central time.

Lil red said...

HAAH! I love the picture of the guy with his minis. Maybe he uses them to plow his garden. :)
Mr. Wood looked like he was having a good time ( I know I would! ). Where any of the mules mammoth jacks? I've seen a mammoth jack up close and they are HUGE! I would like to own a mule some day, I think they are neat.

Katie said...

oh!!!!! That looks like fun! I've always wanted to live in those days! One day we were in Amish Country and saw a man plowing with 8 huge white horses. It was awesome! I imagined it looked a lot like that last picture, except the Amish man had his 4 and 4.

Rebecca said...

oh, that last picture is just beautiful. Frame-worthy, I think!

Miss Alice said...

Annie -
I'm not really sure what "mules" were at the plowing day. I don't think they were mammoth jacks, which are large donkeys - not really mules at all. Mules are a cross between a donkey and a horse. Draft mules are a cross between a donkey (often a mammoth jack)and a draft mare, and this is my best guess for the mules that were plowing. But I don't know for sure.