Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Weapons

At New York's Kennedy airport today, an individual later discovered to be a public school teacher was arrested trying to board a flight while in possession of a protractor, a T-square, a slide rule, and a calculator.

At a morning press conference, Acting Attorney General Peter Keisler said he believes the man is a member of the notorious Al-gebra movement. The man is being charged by the FBI with carrying weapons of math instruction.

"Al-gebra is a fearsome cult," Ashcroft said. "They desire average solutions by means and extremes, and sometimes go off on tangents in a search for absolute value. They use secret code names like x and y and refer to themselves as unknowns, but we have determined they belong to a common denominator of the axis of medieval with coordinates in every country. As the Greek philanderer Isosceles used to say, there are 3 sides to every triangle," Keisler declared.
When asked to comment on the arrest, President Bush said, "I am gratified that our government has given us a sine that it is intent on protracting us from these math-dogs who are willing to dis-integrate us with calculus disregard. Murky statisticians love to inflict plane on every sphere of influence," the President said, adding: "Under the circumferences, we must differentiate their root, make our point, and draw the line."

President Bush warned, "These weapons of math instruction have the potential to decimal everything in their math on a scalene never before seen unless we become exponents of a Higher Power and begin to factor-in random facts of vertex." Keisler said, "As our Great Leader would say, read my ellipse. Though they continue to multiply, their days are numbered as the hypotenuse tightens around their necks."

Author unknown

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

that is so funny I laughed out loud when I read it "Under the circumferences, we must differentiate their root, make our point, and draw the line."

that's my favorite line. where did you find it?

-JOE

Rebecca said...

LOL!!!!

Miss Alice said...

Joe-
Someone--maybe my math-brained sister--once sent me that in an email. I liked it and printed it out. It floated around in one of the piles on my desk for years. Monday and Tuesday, when I choose to spend about FIVE HOURS in my office, trying to buy World Series tickets online, I had nothing to do while waiting for pages to refresh but clean off my desk. Believe me, it took the entire five hours. In fact, the job is STILL not complete, although I have determined that my desk is made out of wood, a fact I had forgotten in the several years since I've actually SEEN my desk top. While cleaning, I rediscovered the piece about Al-Gebra. We can be pretty frugal around here, saving and reuising the second sides of old papers, so I tossed the Al-Gebra piece into a bin of scratch paper for reuse. Yesterday afternoon Merrill discovered the Al-Gebra paragraphs on the back of a school paper, and I overheard her reading it aloud to her sisters. It made me laugh, it made them laugh, so I posted. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Lady Dvora said...

That's VERY funny!!
Joe read it to Mom and she laughed too!