Friday, June 29, 2007

BIG news





Meet Jess. Seventeen hundred and fifty pounds of purebred Belgian mare. Her friend Kandy looks a lot like her--seventeen fifty more. Kandy planted her dinner-plate-sized hoof on the end of my boot a few minutes after the farrier was finished, so I'm not putting her photo up.


As of Sunday, they live here. I stood next to them, watching them eat, with the Gaggle of Girls perched on the corral fence. I held my hand flat on the top of my head, then ran it out straight across to Kandy's withers, sure that I was a wee bit taller. Four heads shook "no." Just then Kandy's muzzle came up out of the feed trough, munching alfalfa. Another two or three feet of solid horseflesh stretched above me.



Anyone know where there's some good hay for sale?


P.S. This is NOT a photo editing trick.

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

oh my goodness! How many horses do you have now?? Oh, I wish I could see them!

Miss Alice said...

Seven horses. Only I forgot to mention that both Kandy and Jess are bred, so next spring it will be nine. At that point, we may have to seriously reassess, but for now, they are all being ridden or worked, so seven is not too many. The perfect number. Come see! I am hoping that, next time you are here, we will have a wagon to hook the drafters to, to give you a little ride around the countryside. We definitely didn't get the cart before the horse.....still shopping for the cart.

An Old Fashioned Girl said...

hehe, I rode that horse tonight; she is BIG!!

I was slightly scared, and just a BIT intimidated. She is about what, four times bigger than me?

It will be so fun to have them pulling a wagon!

Lyds

Lil red said...

I think Kandy is my favorite, but I like Jess's curly mane. Having wagon rides sounds like so much fun! It would be neat to stand Ivan up next to them, and see how tall he is compaired to them.
Thanks for having me over on Friday! I had lots of fun.

Jennifer said...

Beautiful! My father-in-law has a Clydesdale who now looks teeny! lol