Friday, June 1, 2007

What's in Your Kitchen? part 2

Angel Biscuits are fluffy because the butter is cut into small chunks rather than blended with the flour. To keep the butter in chunks, you need to start with cold butter; to cut cold, hard butter, you need a pretty stout pastry cutter.


I've been making Angel Biscuits for nearly twenty-five years. Until this month, I never met a cutter worthy of the task. Either the handle breaks off, or the tines bend and snap, rendering the tool useless.










An alternative to a pastry cutter is to use two knives, like my mother does. I can do it, but I don't like to. Now I don't need to, as the ultimate pastry cutter lives in my drawer.

When one of your daughters loves to ferret out clever kitchen gadgets, you don't have to settle for two knives.

Anyway, two knives don't look this good against the placemat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you took those pictures, i want to know what kind of camera you have. why not write a blog about it. you seem to be pretty good at that picture taking. jeanniebuck

Miss Alice said...

Hmmmm....