Wednesday, July 4, 2007

A Quiver Full

I didn't have a bathrobe when it was time for Rachel to be born, but I knew I would want one to foil the indiscretion of a hospital gown. So I sewed.

Wearing the robe, I rejoiced each time I welcomed a newborn child into the world. Between hospital stays, the robe served duty at home.

It's been twenty years since I made this bathrobe, the last garment I ever sewed. I pulled it on again before dawn today....how many hundred times have I worn it? This robe has given out good morning hugs, swallowed tears, heard bedtime stories and tales told 'round the kitchen counter, knelt for many prayers. I wear it with the peace and satisfaction of a good road long traveled.

As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them. Psalm 127:4-5

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

that is beautiful.

Anonymous said...

What precious memories! Thank you for sharing.