Thursday, July 19, 2007

Leaf Casting

The Extension office was looking for adult help at a leaf-casting workshop for 4Hers; it looked like so much fun that I signed up. Once I got started, I didn't quit very easily. Here are just three of the sculptures I made from rhubarb leaves and a little cement.


















This project is not difficult, but it does take a couple of hours, and then a little more time to paint and seal after the castings are dry. It is a great one to do with middle-sized or big-sized kids. Two warnings: wear rubber gloves when working with wet cement, or the next day your hands will shed skin like snakes. And don't breathe in concrete dust when you're mixing---lungs don't like it.


For complete instructions on how to make these birdbaths/yard art/indoor centerpieces, go to:
http://www.gardengatemagazine.com/extras/53birdbath1.php

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

those are so awesome!! I've heard of them before but never seen one!! I really love them!!

Anonymous said...

WOW I will just have to try that! -jeanniebuck

Anonymous said...

Alice, I've been looking on the internet for ideas for a birdbath and came across a clip of your blog. Thanks for the link and your pictures. You really have an eye.
Joan in Ontario.